Saturday, March 01, 2014

iTunes Saturday - Oscar

With the Academy Awards taking place tomorrow, I thought it fitting to post a song that one the Best Original Song trophy. And since the movie from which it comes celebrates 75 years, this choice seems even more fitting. It's possibly one of the most recognized movie songs every, not to mention some think of it as a gay anthem of sorts. By now, you've probably figured out the song, so without further ado, I present Judy Garland singing Somewhere over the Rainbow:

2 comments:

Ur-spo said...

Wow, I've never heard this song before. And such a nice voice. Did she go on to do anything more?

Harpers Keeper said...

I do love this song (homo - go figure!). What I think of whenever I hear it, isn't the movie as much as Garland. In the movie the song is optimistic and aspirational. Of course she sang the song countless times in her lifetime and the recordings of it later in life have a melancholy desperation about them. The song touches the heart but in two very different ways