Friday, February 28, 2014

Please Read Me a Story! Meme

Please Read Me a Story!

This book-ish meme is making the rounds in the blogosphere, so I thought I would give it a go. Since I'm into books and all.

1. Describe your favorite place to cozy-up with a good book.

I prefer stretching out on my bed with a blanket over my legs and classical music floating softly through the air. That's the perfect place for reading. And subsequently falling asleep....

2. What do you read when you’re on the toilet?

I never read on the toilet.

3. Do you read when taking a bath?

I shower more than I bathe, and the pages tend to get damp and limp while standing under the shower head. I guess the answer is no.

4. If you can, do you read when at the gym? When I had a gym membership, I never read while working out, not even those magazines that people leave behind on the treadmills.

5. Do you still read newspapers and or magazines?

The Sunday paper, Entertainment Weekly and Westways. I read most of my news online from Huffington Post, Time and CNN.

6. What are your favorite genres to read?

I love horror -- anything supernatural, with ghosts or zombies. Classic literature. LGBT literature. And I'm an awards snob, so I try at least one book from Nobel and Pulitzer winners. (I've actually discovered some great authors that way, like Doris Lessing, José Saramago and Pär Lagerkvist.)

7. Do you read one book at a time or can you read several?

I generally read four books at a time, a habit I picked up in high school. But sometimes, I find myself caught up in one of the books and won't pick up one of the other books until I've finished.

8. If you start a book, do you finish it no matter what?

I give a book 50 pages to capture my attention. If I feel bored or disinterested by that point, I stop reading and donate the book. I will, however, finish a book I don't like if the title is something I've always wanted to read -- like Three Lives. from Gertrude Stein -- to at least say that I've read it.

9. Did your parents read to you when you were growing up?

Yes. They were both schoolteachers and read to my brother and me.

10. Have you read to your kids/nephews/nieces?

No kids, nephews or nieces.

11. How do you feel about reading books vs. using electronic devices? Have your feelings evolved from one or two years ago?

I read both, though my Nook gathers dust more often that I pick it up to read from it. Nothing compares to the feeling and weight of holding a book in your hands, flipping the pages, and closing the cover as a sign of accomplishment.

BONUS!!

When was the last time you looked at or read an adult magazine to satisfy yourself? When was the last time you even saw one?

Oh lord, I have no idea. Yes, it has been that long. Don't people use computers nowadays for that?

2 comments:

Ur-spo said...

I was hoping you would do this one; I was not surprised at the responses.

Harpers Keeper said...

I envy people who can read in bed. I fall asleep almost immediately whenever I try.