Thursday, December 13, 2012

Bifocal

Yesterday was my bi-annual visit to the ophthalmologist. Thankfully, he didn't need to dilate my eyes, but after listening to my vision complaints -- having to lift my glasses in order to read the small text on menus, or any small text for that matter -- he offered the diagnosis. The one which only goes to re-inforce my aching muscles and hard-to-lose paunch: I need bifocals. New lenses with that little demarcation line separating good vision from old-man vision.

The change was inevitable, though, so I'm just going to take my "Big Boy" pill and accept the fact that I'm not aging backwards like Benjamin Buttons. The only bright side is that my new lenses will be progressives, meaning that the long-distance vision and the near vision will be blended into the lens offering a gradual change to my sight. A co-worker wears and loves them, but warns that it will take some time to get used to the change.

As long as I will no longer need to raise my glasses to read, I'll be happy.

Image from mtsofan's Flickr photostream. CC BY-NC-SA 2.0.

6 comments:

SEAN said...

Progressive lenses also tend to be bigger because the progression needs space. I needed bifocals from 2 to 20! Then I got to wear bifocal contacts. At 36 I got lasic and have not needed glasses again but time on that is running out - fast.

Garry said...

I kid myself I quite like peering over the top of my glasses to read stuff, but guess I should just take my big boy pill as well. Let us know how you get on!

Ur-spo said...

Indeed !

Erik Rubright said...

I had to quit wearing the progressives I had. They made me nauseous every time I would look up and down. I couldn't get past it. Hopefully you won't experience that.

Greg said...

Garry: I resisted for too long. The glasses should be ready after the holidays, so we'll see how I get along with them.

Erik: I experienced that with those lenses that change in daylight. My eyes actually hurt because of them, so I will be cautious with these.

Harper's Keeper said...

I've been wearing progressive bifocals for a few years now and I actually like them. Warning though. It is difficult to walk down steps until you get used to them