Sunday, November 11, 2012

The ATL

The meeting in Atlanta turned out to be one of the best I've attended. A great opportunity not only to meet everyone with whom I've been emailing or video chatting with, but a chance to share ideas and brainstorm -- which is exactly what we did. We even whittled down a few ideas into at least one major proposal.

Usually with these trips, I don't have much time for sightseeing -- flying the first day, meeting the next, flying home on the final day. So I neglected to pack a camera. Looking back, that was incredibly stupid of me because our hotel -- the Hotel Indigo -- sat next door to the Georgian Terrace Hotel where Vivian Leigh stayed while filming Gone with the Wind and directly across the street from that was the Fox Theatre. And also because after our all-day meeting on Friday, we hopped aboard a Fur Bus (to everyone's surprise) and toured many of Atlanta's tourist attractions...albeit after they were closed. We started with dinner at The Varsity for burgers, hotdogs, and fries, and to listen to the cashiers shouting "What'll ya have? What'll ya have?". We even managed to squeeze into the old high school desks they used instead of traditional seating. On the walk back to the bus, a few people snapped pictures of the Olympic Torch with their iPhones. From there, we stopped at -- in no particular order -- Turner Field, the World of Coca-Cola, the Georgia Aquarium, Centennial Olympic Park, the CNN Center, and finally the Margaret Mitchell House. In three hours, we saw what would normally take a few days to see and had a blast riding listening to loud dance music and just being silly.

Of course, I walked back to the Margaret Mitchell House the next morning to snap a quick pic with my Blackberry before joining the rest of the group for breakfast at the Broadway Diner.

These are the only good pictures I was able to take with my phone: a metal scorpion outside a Tequila bar; the inside of the CNN Center with its world's longest free-standing escalator; and the Margaret Mitchell House. Oh, and I did manage to unlock the Atlanta badge on Foursquare.

5 comments:

Ur-spo said...

was anybody at home?

Greg said...

Unfortunately, no one was at home. Either, that or they thought I was peddling something.

Erik said...

Sounds like you had a great time!

Wonder Man said...

I'm jealous

Harper's Keeper said...

I would love to visit Atlanta. I have done the quick business meeting trips you mentioned and driven through a few times on my way somewhere else but never had the chance to explore the city.nclieod 168